There are other steps you can take to maintain the beauty of your wood floors.
1. Do not use tile floor care products and self-polishing acrylic waxes on wood floors as they can cause wood to become slippery and appear dull quickly.
2. Use floor mats at entrances to help prevent grit, dirt and other debris from being tracked onto your wood floors.
3. Do not wet-mop a wood floor. Standing water can dull the finish, damage the wood and leave a discolouring residue.
4. Wipe up spills immediately with a slightly dampened towel.
5. Put felt pad protectors under the legs of furniture to prevent scuffing and scratching.
6. Avoid walking on your wood floors with high heeled shoes to prevent denting your hardwood floor.
7. When moving heavy furniture, do not slide it on wood flooring. It is best to pick up the furniture completely to protect the wood flooring.
8. For wood flooring in the kitchen, place an area rug in front of the kitchen sink, dishwasher, or where food is being prepared.
9. Use a humidifier throughout the winter months to minimize gaps in your hardwood floor boards. Conversely, use a dehumidifier in the summer months to avoid warping in your hardwood floor boards.